Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hot states and cold states


Susana Sanchez
                    Economist George Lowenstein is associated with hot states and cold states . Based on Lowenstein He refers a cold state as rational calm .Anxiety,courage,fear,drug craving and ,sexual excitation are some of the emotions we feel during a hot state . Hot state is the reason why we act before we think ;We are led by our emotions and we give them a mind of their own .sometimes the outcomes can be regretful ! Cold states allowed a person to do the opposite of the hot state , A cold state allows us to think before we act . I would always prefer to be at a cold state all the time !
           One experience associated with a hot state was when i had a conflict with my mother . My mother had spend the entire day explaining the importance of school . She said that school was very important and I had to do our best to maintain a good average so i would make it into a good college . I strongly agreed with her . The next day i received a test grade at school and i was very proud to have received an eighty . I took my test home and  i showed my mom . My moms reaction wasn’t the one i was expecting and neither was mine . My mom took my test and she madly replied “this is very good but next time try to get 100 “. I was furious because it wasn’t what i wanted to hear from her . I felt very mad so i took my test ripped it up into small tiny pieces and through them in the garbage. My reaction was the worst thing i could have done to my mother . As i went to my room i saw tears in my mothers eyes . In my room i had time to relax and think . This is where i reached the “cold state “. I figured what i did was very disrespectful and wrong . My mom didn’t mean  what she said in a bad way; My mom just wanted me to aim higher and not be satisfied with a eighty.
           Another example  of  hot and cold states was when i was 10 years old . I went on a trip to the fire department. I was excited to meet the fire fighters and very interested on their work . what i enjoyed was when they timed us how long it took us to get out the fire department in case of a fire . As i went home i though we can practice at home with my family .I went home and screamed “fire The house is burning”! . My mom was very scared and the first thing she did was take everybody out the house . As she grabbed her cell phone to call 911 i told her that i lied . My mother explained i should have never played around that way because it was very dangerous . After that incident i thought about all the commotions i cause . I decided never to do that again unless it was real .I reached the hot state after taken over my emotion of  excitement and curiosity towards the experience of a real fire . Luckily when i came down to the cold state i understood my mistake .
           I think many people reach cold and hot states in every day life  . Our emotions take over our minds and we do the first thing that comes up to mind . My experiences  give examples of how i can connect to hot and cold states . Its weird how the best state to be is in a cold state ,which makes our body's and mind calm and we can getter a clear view but it takes a long while to have reached a cold state.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the examples you used in your description of what hot and cold states are. If I had no clue what hot abd cold states were, now I know. Don't you hate it when your parents tell you something but its the way that it was said offends you? Maybe they don't realize their own "hot" and "cold" states? You should have your mom read your blog. Maybe she'll look at things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the two examples you gave. It shows how hot and cold states can give to into diffrent situations. I think you can extend a little more in your own words what a hot and cold states is and also adding the emapathy gap that plays a role in the in between of the states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susanna,
    These are great examples. The story about the "fake fire" really showed the way a kid could swing from a hot-impulsive state to a calm and rational one. Grammar is an issue - try to work with E111 to identify issues and to work on resolving them. Great start!

    ReplyDelete